Paid Freelance Position
fleck is excited to be hiring a typesetter to help out with the design of our books! This is a fun freelance position that will help a lover of all things InDesign, get their start in design in the publishing world!
- This job will require the candidate to typeset the interior pages of non-fiction books and novels which will include the following steps:
- receive and review book layout in indesign format (5 pages outlining design structure) and flag any questions
- typeset the complete manuscript based on approved design, using styles in the design provided, updating as required and creating new styles when needed
- provide polished pdf's for review and proofreading
- update working file with up to 2 rounds of design edits and 2 rounds of proofreading edits
- edits will be provided as a marked up PDF
- provide final packaged working files and press ready pdf's
Some training will be provided, however applicants must be proficient in:
- Adobe InDesign
- comprehensive use of paragraph and character styles
- preflight review of print ready files
- press file creation for print ready files
- file organization and file packaging
- typography rules and the nitty gritty of line by line typesetting (avoiding orphans and over hyphenation etc.)
- have a good sense of design
- understand the fundamentals of readability and legibility
The ideal candidate is:
- VERY detail oriented***
- a problem solver
- likely called a perfectionist by their friends
- deadline and goal oriented
- excellent at communicating effectively over email
- open to flagging concerns early before they become bigger issues
The fine print:
- Role is remote and can be conducted anywhere in the world
- Paid in CAD on a per project basis
- Must have access to Adobe Creative Cloud 2018 , specifically InDesign
To apply please email me, Jaz, at email@example.com with the reason why you're applying and why you love books along with your resume and portfolio samples. No cover letter required!
Selected applicants will need to successfully complete a small typesetting test before acceptance.
Application closes June 22nd.